The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2010 7:35 PM ET
Conviction — Boys Don't Cry actress Hilary Swank stars in another true-life saga as underdog Betty Anne Waters, a working-class high school dropout who puts herself through law school to prove her brother (Sam Rockwell) innocent of murder. Minnie Driver costars as Waters's friend and colleague, while Juliette Lewis steals scenes in a showy supporting turn.
Jackass 3D— Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, et al, return for the third theatrical release somewhat older but not necessarily wiser for a series of gross-out pranks, this time coming at you in 3-D. The usual homoerotic energy continues unabated as the guys are always willing to whip out their penises or insert things into any orifice in a series of gags that are alternately uproarious and unsettling. Be forewarned: Steve-O's "Poo Cocktail Supreme" might have you running for the exit doors.
Red — Helen Mirren says she studied Martha Stewart for her role as a partially retired black-ops CIA agent who is now living a quiet life of baking and flower arranging in the suburbs. And for that alone, Red is worth seeing. In it she partners with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, and John Malkovich for a more sophisticated than usual action-comedy. As heavy on the laughs as it is on the gunfire, this is one of those rare movies with something everyone in your inner circle might enjoy.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started
- MICHAEL SAM CUT FROM RAMS ROSTER
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- WATCH: Travis Wall Brings Same-Sex Couples to So You Think You Can Dance
- Hawaii's Governor Loses Reelection, Blames Marriage Equality