The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2010 6:35 PM ET
Conviction — Boys Don't Cry actress Hilary Swank stars in another true-life saga as underdog Betty Anne Waters, a working-class high school dropout who puts herself through law school to prove her brother (Sam Rockwell) innocent of murder. Minnie Driver costars as Waters's friend and colleague, while Juliette Lewis steals scenes in a showy supporting turn.
Jackass 3D— Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, et al, return for the third theatrical release somewhat older but not necessarily wiser for a series of gross-out pranks, this time coming at you in 3-D. The usual homoerotic energy continues unabated as the guys are always willing to whip out their penises or insert things into any orifice in a series of gags that are alternately uproarious and unsettling. Be forewarned: Steve-O's "Poo Cocktail Supreme" might have you running for the exit doors.
Red — Helen Mirren says she studied Martha Stewart for her role as a partially retired black-ops CIA agent who is now living a quiet life of baking and flower arranging in the suburbs. And for that alone, Red is worth seeing. In it she partners with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, and John Malkovich for a more sophisticated than usual action-comedy. As heavy on the laughs as it is on the gunfire, this is one of those rare movies with something everyone in your inner circle might enjoy.
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 1 hour 4 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM