The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2010 7:30 AM ET
Caprica: Season 1.0 — Battlestar Galactica fans eager to find out what happened before the Cylon uprising can get all caught up in this imaginative if not as wholly engrossing prequel to the popular sci-fi series. What Caprica boasts that Battlestar lacked is a more sexually diverse cast. Here, we learn, that hit man Sam Adama — the uncle of Edward James Olmos’s William Adama — is gay, and Sister Clarice Willow, the headmistress of a private academy, swings both ways ... frequently in groups. Sexuality in a nonissue in this sci-fi series, and even if it is fantasy, it’s refreshing to see the characters’ sex lives simply exist.
Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough — A washed-up movie producer (Kirk Douglas) marries a wealthy closeted lesbian to maintain a privileged life for his spoiled daughter, who in turn marries a hard-drinking novelist old enough to be her father. Daddy issues, anyone? This 1975 film version of Susann’s torrid novel lacks the outlandish fun of Valley of the Dolls, but there are small pleasures to be had, particularly Brenda Vaccaro’s Oscar-nominated turn as a sex-hungry magazine editor.
Where Love Has Gone — Sixties starlet Joey Heatherton pouts about as a petulant teen who competes with mother Susan Hayward for the love of a man, whom she then murders, culminating in a loony courtroom trial. A badly wigged Bette Davis costars as a domineering granny in this 1964 adaptation of the lurid Harold Robbins bestseller. Loosely inspired by the notorious real-life Lana Turner–Cheryl Crane–Johnny Stompanato scandal, this is one of the great unsung bad movies of the 1960s.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 2 hours 27 min ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM