The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2010 7:30 AM ET
Caprica: Season 1.0 — Battlestar Galactica fans eager to find out what happened before the Cylon uprising can get all caught up in this imaginative if not as wholly engrossing prequel to the popular sci-fi series. What Caprica boasts that Battlestar lacked is a more sexually diverse cast. Here, we learn, that hit man Sam Adama — the uncle of Edward James Olmos’s William Adama — is gay, and Sister Clarice Willow, the headmistress of a private academy, swings both ways ... frequently in groups. Sexuality in a nonissue in this sci-fi series, and even if it is fantasy, it’s refreshing to see the characters’ sex lives simply exist.
Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough — A washed-up movie producer (Kirk Douglas) marries a wealthy closeted lesbian to maintain a privileged life for his spoiled daughter, who in turn marries a hard-drinking novelist old enough to be her father. Daddy issues, anyone? This 1975 film version of Susann’s torrid novel lacks the outlandish fun of Valley of the Dolls, but there are small pleasures to be had, particularly Brenda Vaccaro’s Oscar-nominated turn as a sex-hungry magazine editor.
Where Love Has Gone — Sixties starlet Joey Heatherton pouts about as a petulant teen who competes with mother Susan Hayward for the love of a man, whom she then murders, culminating in a loony courtroom trial. A badly wigged Bette Davis costars as a domineering granny in this 1964 adaptation of the lurid Harold Robbins bestseller. Loosely inspired by the notorious real-life Lana Turner–Cheryl Crane–Johnny Stompanato scandal, this is one of the great unsung bad movies of the 1960s.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM