The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2010 6:40 AM ET
BearCity — Aspiring young actor (and closeted bear chaser) Tyler's fondness for fur leads him to look for love among a world of burly buddies. This hirsute — and intermittently amusing — take on the traditional gay rom-com won awards for best actor (Stephen Guarino) and screenplay at this summer's Outfest.
Hereafter — Clint Eastwood, who'll helm next year's biopic of notoriously closeted FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover, weaves three story lines into this ambitious, moody, contemplative drama starring The Talented Mr. Ripley's Matt Damon as a reluctant psychic. The film's big set piece, a re-creation of the deadly 2004 Indonesian tsunami, is truly haunting.
Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives — The movie that made headlines months before it even got a release date is finally being shown in one theater in Los Angeles before debuting on DVD. LGBT activists complained that this send-up of 1970s exploitation films glorified violence against trans women. Add to that a salacious title, and Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives managed to get more press when it screened at Tribeca earlier this year than it is now. As for the film, the cast is engaging and attractive enough (Nip/Tuck’s Willem Belli in particular), but the film is a bit of a slow grind without much sense of purpose — and a lot less interesting than the title would have you believe.
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM