The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2010 7:40 AM ET
Jolene — Clichés abound in this episodic adaptation of an acclaimed short story by Ragtime author E.L. Doctorow that documents a tumultuous decade in the life of a teenage girl. Jolene (talented newcomer Jessica Chastain) journeys from abusive foster homes, bad marriages, even a correctional institution where she attracts the attention of a lesbian guard (Frances Fisher), and, of course, a stint as a pole dancer. Broad performances by a notable supporting cast, including Dermot Mulroney, Michael Vartan, Theresa Russell, and Chazz Palminteri, only add to the film's somewhat frantic pace.
Saw 3D — In a week short on new movie releases (Halloween is pretty well restricted to high-gloss horror flicks), the Saw franchise purports to be wrapping itself up with Saw 3D: The Final Chapter. Of course, with horror movies it’s never a final chapter until the franchise stops making money — and even then sometimes these films just make the direct-to-home video move. But in the latest Saw, producers have at least made an effort to beef up the plot a bit by incorporating the first film’s star — Cary Elwes — into the last installment.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest — Around the same time Stieg Larsson’s trilogy of thrillers was becoming a staple in American bookstores, a film adaptation of the final installment in the series was hitting theaters in Sweden. Now the films are being remade stateside, so before fans learn how director David Fincher and actors Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara fare with the American adaptation of the first book, find out how the trilogy ends with the well-received The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM