The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 12 2010 8:45 AM ET
A Marine Story — A lesbian marine (Dreya Weber) returns to her small hometown after being discharged, only to find herself enlisted to train a raw female recruit (Paris Pickard). Despite the "don't ask, don't tell" backdrop, Ned Farr's festival award–winning drama avoids message-movie preachiness and features two fine central performances.
The Taqwacores — Based on the novel by Michael Muhammad Knight, this film centers on a devout Pakistani student who moves off campus and discovers a hardcore Muslim punk rock scene, which causes him to challenge his ideas about faith and sexuality. Each character he interacts with (such a radical lesbian clad in a burka) represents a different dilemma faced by Muslims. Director Eyad Zahra gives his low-budget film an appropriate raw, rebellious energy.
Morning Glory — Considering that trailers for this Rachel McAdams–Harrison Ford–Diane Keaton rom-com meets The Devil Wears Prada have been showing in theaters since last spring, if it feels like you’ve already seen this movie, you aren’t alone. That said, McAdams is a likable leading lady as the plucky producer of a Today-like morning show, and Ford and Keaton are at their best as bickering cohosts. Gay audiences will be thrilled to see the handsome Patrick Wilson (Angels in America, Little Children) as the love interest, though he doesn’t have much to do. All told, a fun if not altogether memorable flick.
Skyline — People are vanishing into thin air, leaving a bunch of late-night partyers (led by frequently nude hunk Eric Balfour and Scrubs’ Donald Faison) left behind to fight the alien forces. Above-par special effects aside, this is definitely the type of film that racks up Razzies, so if you’re in the mood for a camp sci-fi mess, run (in slo-mo — you’ll get that one later) to your nearest theater.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 1 hour 31 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 2 hours 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM