The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 12 2010 8:45 AM ET
A Marine Story — A lesbian marine (Dreya Weber) returns to her small hometown after being discharged, only to find herself enlisted to train a raw female recruit (Paris Pickard). Despite the "don't ask, don't tell" backdrop, Ned Farr's festival award–winning drama avoids message-movie preachiness and features two fine central performances.
The Taqwacores — Based on the novel by Michael Muhammad Knight, this film centers on a devout Pakistani student who moves off campus and discovers a hardcore Muslim punk rock scene, which causes him to challenge his ideas about faith and sexuality. Each character he interacts with (such a radical lesbian clad in a burka) represents a different dilemma faced by Muslims. Director Eyad Zahra gives his low-budget film an appropriate raw, rebellious energy.
Morning Glory — Considering that trailers for this Rachel McAdams–Harrison Ford–Diane Keaton rom-com meets The Devil Wears Prada have been showing in theaters since last spring, if it feels like you’ve already seen this movie, you aren’t alone. That said, McAdams is a likable leading lady as the plucky producer of a Today-like morning show, and Ford and Keaton are at their best as bickering cohosts. Gay audiences will be thrilled to see the handsome Patrick Wilson (Angels in America, Little Children) as the love interest, though he doesn’t have much to do. All told, a fun if not altogether memorable flick.
Skyline — People are vanishing into thin air, leaving a bunch of late-night partyers (led by frequently nude hunk Eric Balfour and Scrubs’ Donald Faison) left behind to fight the alien forces. Above-par special effects aside, this is definitely the type of film that racks up Razzies, so if you’re in the mood for a camp sci-fi mess, run (in slo-mo — you’ll get that one later) to your nearest theater.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 10 min 31 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 39 min 59 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM