The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2010 8:45 AM ET
Eyes Wide Open — The taboo-busting but understated debut feature from director Haim Tabakman follows the devastation that results when Aaron (Zohar Shtrauss), a devout family man in Jerusalem, falls in love with Ezri (Ran Danker), a young man who stops into his butcher shop to escape the rain.
Eat Pray Love — Or, in a perfect world, Eat Intermission Like. Director Ryan Murphy takes a heavy-handed approach to adapting Elizabeth Gilbert’s “loaded lady in crisis” memoir for the big screen. Maybe it’s the fact that the economy has everyone on money watch, but it’s hard to sympathize with an unhappy woman who has enough money to travel the world for a year — let alone one who’s leaving behind a sex-hungry James Franco to do it. Once you get past that, though, Julia Roberts’s charms as an actress serve her well as she eats her way through Italy, but while the pray portion boasts some fine acting by Richard Jenkins, there Roberts’s Liz just comes off like a stupid American. Love fares better (Roberts and Javier Bardem have a natural chemistry), but by this point you feel like you’ve seen it all done better by Diane Lane in Under the Tuscan Sun — and for some reason, she didn’t quite come off like such a spoiled bitch.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 27 min 14 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM