BY Advocate.com Editors
February 10 2001 1:00 AM ET
Controversial rapper Eminem performed his first British concert Thursday night in Manchester, drawing both a sold-out crowd and a vocal group of protesters, reports Reuters. The capacity audience of 15,500 was greeted by gay rights activists and women’s groups carrying signs and chanting, “Eminem, you’re not funny, you oppress us to make money.” “The basic reason why we organized the protest is the fact that Eminem’s lyrics are not only homophobic, they are also misogynistic,” said Vicki Austin, National Union of Students gay and lesbian campaigner. “We’re not suggesting that the concert either shouldn’t go ahead or should be banned or shouldn’t be going on in Manchester. What we are saying is that we think people should be aware of what the lyrics contain.”
The Scottish Daily Record also noted that Eminem canceled his plans to stay in a hotel near Manchester’s gay district for fear of attack and instead flew directly to London after Thursday’s concert. OutRage!’s Peter Tatchell told the paper that Eminem and the fans who copy his style look like gay men: “If Eminem is so antigay, why does he dress like a gay man? He’s got tattoos, cropped bleached hair, and wears a white [tank top]. When I see someone like that, I would think they are gay. There is no evidence he is gay, but his image and lyrics make me wonder.” Tatchell added that Eminem’s decision not to stay overnight in Manchester was “an act of blatant homophobia,” adding, “No normal heterosexual man would be worried about staying five minutes away from a gay area. Nobody would have attacked him.” Eminem will be performing a duet with out superstar Sir Elton John at the Grammy Awards on February 21 in Los Angeles.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 9 min 25 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 15 min 28 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 11 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 41 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 33 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM