Before Night Falls inspires protests in London
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 08 2001 12:00 AM ET
A gala charity screening of Before Night Falls, based on the autobiography of gay Cuban author Reinaldo Arenas, was picketed at the London Human Rights Watch film festival, according to The [London] Guardian. There are further plans to stage protests when the film goes into wide release throughout the United Kingdom next month. Both opponents and supporters of the Fidel Castro government, as well as gay activists, were involved in the picketing. Steve Williamson of the Cuba Solidarity Campaign claims the portrait of Castro in the film is simplistic and that the real story is much more complicated. Williamson, who is an expert on the writings of Arenas, points out that Arenas was an amazing person and a great magical realist. His life was fantastic in every way. He undoubtedly suffered because of what happened during that period in Cuba, which was wrong; but if you elevate what he wrote and what the film presents as an actual record of events, you are falsifying history. He further states that Cuba...is by far the most progressive country in Latin America as regards gay rights.... Cubans have come to terms with gay issues in an unprecedented way. Amnesty International apparently agrees that Cuba has quite a good record on gay rights. The films director, Julian Schnabel, says, I didnt mean to make a political film, but I guess I did.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 4 min 41 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 7 min 37 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 18 min 5 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 30 min 43 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 39 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 21 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 38 min ago