I Am My Own Wife begins workshops in La Jolla
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 10 2001 12:00 AM ET
The La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego, Calif., will begin workshops July 10 for the work in progress I Am My Own Wife: Studies for a Play About the Life of Charlotte Von Mahlsdorf. The play is being developed by Quills author Doug Wright as part of the theaters Page to Stage program. The play chronicles the life of Charlotte Von Mahlsdorf, a man who openly lived as a cross-dresser in Berlin from the 1940s on. In the course of an eventful life, Von Mahlsdorf ran a Nazi-era cabaret, worked as a spy for East Germany, and received a medal of honor on national television for her work as a preservationist of German antiquities. The workshop runs through July 29 and features Obie awardwinning actor Jefferson Mays as Von Mahlsdorf. For further information, call (858) 550-1010 or visit the theaters Web site, www.lajollaplayhouse.com.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out