I Am My Own Wife begins workshops in La Jolla
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 10 2001 12:00 AM ET
The La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego, Calif., will begin workshops July 10 for the work in progress I Am My Own Wife: Studies for a Play About the Life of Charlotte Von Mahlsdorf. The play is being developed by Quills author Doug Wright as part of the theaters Page to Stage program. The play chronicles the life of Charlotte Von Mahlsdorf, a man who openly lived as a cross-dresser in Berlin from the 1940s on. In the course of an eventful life, Von Mahlsdorf ran a Nazi-era cabaret, worked as a spy for East Germany, and received a medal of honor on national television for her work as a preservationist of German antiquities. The workshop runs through July 29 and features Obie awardwinning actor Jefferson Mays as Von Mahlsdorf. For further information, call (858) 550-1010 or visit the theaters Web site, www.lajollaplayhouse.com.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'