Whitney Houston alive, rumors of death false
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2001 12:00 AM ET
A spokeswoman for gay icon Whitney Houston issued a statement Thursday that the pop superstar is alive. "Whitney Houston is fine. This is a rumor, and it's not true. She thanks everyone for their concern. She is fine and at home with her family," said publicist Nancy Seltzer in a statement.
Rumors swept the country Thursday that Houston had died of a drug overdose, no doubt fueled by the singer's emaciated appearance last Friday at the Michael Jackson tribute concert in New York. The star was a no-show on the following Monday, the night of Jackson's second tribute event. How prevalent was the death story? "I'm getting calls from everywhere," said a staffer at Arista Records, Houston's label. Houston has long been rumored to be gay or bisexual herself but has repeatedly denied the rumors.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM