Emmys set for October 7; Madonna gives it away
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 15 2001 12:00 AM ET
As the entertainment industry continues to process the impact of this week's catastrophic attacks, events that had been postponed because of the tragedies in New York City, Washington, D.C., and western Pennsylvania have taken on new meaning. The Emmy Awards, originally scheduled for Sunday, will now take place on Sunday, October 7, organizers announced Friday, adding that the show will have a more somber tone and will honor the dead and the heroes of this week's events. Out actress Ellen DeGeneres is scheduled to host the Los Angeles ceremony, which will be broadcast live for Eastern time zone viewers.
Also in Los Angeles, Madonna returned to the concert stage Thursday night--and announced that the proceeds from her remaining three shows at the city's Staples Center will be donated to relief agencies to help victims of this week's terrorist attacks. The Madonna concert that was canceled Tuesday night will now take place Saturday night in L.A. and will be the final show in her "Drowned World" tour.
In other rescheduling news, the debut of the fall television season, which was to have begun rolling out next week, has been postponed by at least a week on the three biggest networks: NBC, CBS, and ABC.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 38 min 30 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 18 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM