Emmys set for October 7; Madonna gives it away
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 15 2001 12:00 AM ET
As the entertainment industry continues to process the impact of this week's catastrophic attacks, events that had been postponed because of the tragedies in New York City, Washington, D.C., and western Pennsylvania have taken on new meaning. The Emmy Awards, originally scheduled for Sunday, will now take place on Sunday, October 7, organizers announced Friday, adding that the show will have a more somber tone and will honor the dead and the heroes of this week's events. Out actress Ellen DeGeneres is scheduled to host the Los Angeles ceremony, which will be broadcast live for Eastern time zone viewers.
Also in Los Angeles, Madonna returned to the concert stage Thursday night--and announced that the proceeds from her remaining three shows at the city's Staples Center will be donated to relief agencies to help victims of this week's terrorist attacks. The Madonna concert that was canceled Tuesday night will now take place Saturday night in L.A. and will be the final show in her "Drowned World" tour.
In other rescheduling news, the debut of the fall television season, which was to have begun rolling out next week, has been postponed by at least a week on the three biggest networks: NBC, CBS, and ABC.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 7 min 1 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 27 min 31 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM