Nicholas Hytner named next director of Royal National Theatre
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2001 12:00 AM ET
BBC reports that openly gay theater (Carousel) and film (The Madness of King George, The Object of My Affection) director Nicholas Hytner has been named the next director of London's prestigious Royal National Theatre. The 45-year-old Hytner will begin his five-year term in April 2003, when current director Trevor Nunn steps down. Speculation over who would get the high-profile position focused on a number of possible candidates, including out director Stephen Daldry (Billy Eliott). Hytner, whose stage work has ranged from Shakespeare to Miss Saigon, said, "I'm thrilled by the challenge of leading the National and of working with a company of outstandingly creative people whom I've loved and admired for many years."
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'