Nicholas Hytner named next director of Royal National Theatre
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 25 2001 11:00 PM ET
BBC reports that openly gay theater (Carousel) and film (The Madness of King George, The Object of My Affection) director Nicholas Hytner has been named the next director of London's prestigious Royal National Theatre. The 45-year-old Hytner will begin his five-year term in April 2003, when current director Trevor Nunn steps down. Speculation over who would get the high-profile position focused on a number of possible candidates, including out director Stephen Daldry (Billy Eliott). Hytner, whose stage work has ranged from Shakespeare to Miss Saigon, said, "I'm thrilled by the challenge of leading the National and of working with a company of outstandingly creative people whom I've loved and admired for many years."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View