"Chelsea Boys" comic strip may be headed for television
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2001 12:00 AM ET
PressPassQ reports that "Chelsea Boys," the gay-themed syndicated comic strip by Glen Hanson and Allan Neuwirth, is being developed into a half-hour animated TV series by Film Roman, producers of The Simpsons. The strip, which debuted in 1998 and is now read across North America, was originally conceived as an animated series, but its gay content frightened networks at the time. "Now you can't change channels without running into a gay character on TV," said Neuwirth. The duo hope to sell the show to HBO or Showtime so as to have greater flexibility and freedom in telling the story of three gay roommates who live in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.
- The Daily Show's Unforgettable Takedown of Andrew Shirvell
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- WATCH: A Trans Girl's Inspiring 'Letter to the World'