"Chelsea Boys" comic strip may be headed for television
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2001 12:00 AM ET
PressPassQ reports that "Chelsea Boys," the gay-themed syndicated comic strip by Glen Hanson and Allan Neuwirth, is being developed into a half-hour animated TV series by Film Roman, producers of The Simpsons. The strip, which debuted in 1998 and is now read across North America, was originally conceived as an animated series, but its gay content frightened networks at the time. "Now you can't change channels without running into a gay character on TV," said Neuwirth. The duo hope to sell the show to HBO or Showtime so as to have greater flexibility and freedom in telling the story of three gay roommates who live in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun