Rupert Everett's saucy comments on Robbie Williams draw complaints
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2001 1:00 AM ET
The [London] Daily Mail reports that hundreds of viewers complained about comments made by Rupert Everett during a Robbie Williams concert special broadcast on BBC1. The concert program, One Night With Robbie Williams, was taped last month at London's Royal Albert Hall and was broadcast on November 17. At one point in the show, Everett, the host, suggested that he would like to have sex with Williams and then, "using lurid language" per the Mail, said that whatever the sexual orientation of audience members, they would all want to sleep with the singer following his dazzling stage performance. A BBC spokesman said, "Rupert's script was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Compared to the number of viewers the show got [7.3 million], it was only a small percentage that complained."
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet