Kimberly Peirce, Kevin Smith, South Park creators to be honored by People for the American Way
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 04 2001 1:00 AM ET
Out filmmaker Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) and gay-friendly comedymeisters Kevin Smith (Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) and Matt Parker and Trey Stone (South Park) will be honored at the 20th anniversary Spirit of Liberty Awards dinner on December 11 in Beverly Hills, Calif. The event, sponsored by People for the American Way, "recognizes individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the values of the American way." Rocker Neil Young will be given the Spirit of Liberty lifetime achievement award, while Peirce, Smith, Parker, and Stone will receive Defender of Democracy awards. PAW will also present California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi with the Spirit of Liberty award. A statement from the organization read, "These individuals...have taken public stands to support a free, open, and democratic society through their art and work, educating while entertaining, and courageously addressing today's most fundamental social and political issues."
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Indiana Scrambling to 'Clarify' Discriminatory Law
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana