Falwell, Heche, Elton John make Mad's "Dumbest" list
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2001 12:00 AM ET
The editors of Mad magazine put the Rev. Jerry Falwell at the top of its "Dumbest People, Events, and Things of 2001" list for blaming the September 11 terrorist attacks on "the abortionists, feminists, gays, and lesbians," among others. "We thought Falwell had reached his personal pinnacle of dumbness a few years ago when he accused the Teletubbies of promoting homosexuality," said Mad coeditor John Ficarra. "Give the guy credit--we underestimated him." "He was listed sixth on the list in 1999," added coeditor Nick Meglin. "But now he's redefined dumbness and made it to the top spot. We congratulate the reverend!" Also making the magazine's list of 20 dumbest were Anne Heche (at number 5: "Anne Heche Says Bye "Bi," Goes Hetero) and out rocker Sir Elton John (number 14, "Elton John Duets With Eminem at Grammy Awards"). The complete list can be found in Mad issue 413, on sale now.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson