Yves Saint Laurent announces retirement
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 08 2002 1:00 AM ET
At a news conference held Monday in his elegant salon in Paris, legendary fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent announced that he is retiring at age 65, reports Reuters. "I have chosen today to bid farewell to this profession, which I have loved too much," an emotional Saint Laurent told a room packed with journalists, photographers, and camera crews. The gay designer was responsible for some of fashion's most memorable looks, including the women's tuxedo and the safari jacket. "I tell myself that I created the wardrobe of the contemporary woman, that I took part in the transformation of my era," he said.
Saint Laurent's lover and business partner, Pierre Berge, told reporters that the designer feels increasingly isolated in an industry that worships commerce before art. "It's not much fun playing a game of tennis by yourself," Berge said. "It's better to put away your racket than to play on a court where nobody is returning the ball."
Saint Laurent handed over his ready-to-wear collection to out American designer Tom Ford in 1999 and since then has designed only the YSL house's semiannual haute couture collections.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM