Mr. Blackwell announces "Worst Dressed of 2001"
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2002 1:00 AM ET
Renowned fashion watchdog Mr. Blackwell announced his annual list of the Worst Dressed Women for 2001 on Tuesday, his 42nd compilation of fashion faux pas. "After the horrific events of September 11th, proclamations focusing on fashion seem permanently passé‚" Blackwell said in a statement. "I had decided to skip releasing a list for 2001 and sharpen the saber for 2002's list in 2003. But after some thought, I felt some traditions (however frivolous) should continue. After all, the 'Worst-Dressed' list was never meant to be taken as life-shattering.... It may be good for a laugh! And maybe that's just what we all need right now." Blackwell also listed 10 women as "Fabulous Fashion Independents" for the year: Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Diane Sawyer, Renee Fleming, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Joan Allen, Penelope Cruz, Renee Zellweger, and Katie Couric. Topping the "Worst Dressed" list is The Weakest Link game show host Anne Robinson, who Blackwell said looks like "Harry Potter in drag." The complete list, with Blackwell's comments, follows:
1. Anne Robinson: "Fashion's Weakest Link. Looks like Harry Potter in drag...a Hogwarts horror!"
2. Britney Spears: "What's left to say? Britney's belly-baring bombs are a wacky tacky display.... She's rehashed Madonna...on a really bad day!"
3. Juliette Binoche: "A Haute Couture Catastrophe. Let's just dub her 'La Gauche Binoche‚' and leave it at that!"
4. Destiny's Child: "A Trilogy of Taste-Free Terror Hitting a Crescendo of Off-Pitch Kitsch. Three peas in a peek-a-boo pod!"
5. Björk: "A Swan Lake Mistake... A pretentious fashion folly in a nightmare by Salvador Dali!"
6. Princess Stephanie: "Her wardrobe has the allure of nuclear waste... Sorry, no taste!"
7. Kate Hudson: "Looks like a cyclone victim from the OK Corral... It's fatal fashion weather!"
8. Camilla Parker Bowles: "Packs the stylistic punch of a dilapidated Yorkshire pudding!"
9. Cameron Diaz: "Chaos in high heels, period!"
10. Gillian Anderson: "A grunge plunge...resembling an escape from a Bohemian barbecue."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- A Letter to My Partners
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 2 min 23 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 32 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 36 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 2 hours 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 2 hours 10 min ago