Mr. Blackwell announces "Worst Dressed of 2001"
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2002 12:00 AM ET
Renowned fashion watchdog Mr. Blackwell announced his annual list of the Worst Dressed Women for 2001 on Tuesday, his 42nd compilation of fashion faux pas. "After the horrific events of September 11th, proclamations focusing on fashion seem permanently passé‚" Blackwell said in a statement. "I had decided to skip releasing a list for 2001 and sharpen the saber for 2002's list in 2003. But after some thought, I felt some traditions (however frivolous) should continue. After all, the 'Worst-Dressed' list was never meant to be taken as life-shattering.... It may be good for a laugh! And maybe that's just what we all need right now." Blackwell also listed 10 women as "Fabulous Fashion Independents" for the year: Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Diane Sawyer, Renee Fleming, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Joan Allen, Penelope Cruz, Renee Zellweger, and Katie Couric. Topping the "Worst Dressed" list is The Weakest Link game show host Anne Robinson, who Blackwell said looks like "Harry Potter in drag." The complete list, with Blackwell's comments, follows:
1. Anne Robinson: "Fashion's Weakest Link. Looks like Harry Potter in drag...a Hogwarts horror!"
2. Britney Spears: "What's left to say? Britney's belly-baring bombs are a wacky tacky display.... She's rehashed Madonna...on a really bad day!"
3. Juliette Binoche: "A Haute Couture Catastrophe. Let's just dub her 'La Gauche Binoche‚' and leave it at that!"
4. Destiny's Child: "A Trilogy of Taste-Free Terror Hitting a Crescendo of Off-Pitch Kitsch. Three peas in a peek-a-boo pod!"
5. Björk: "A Swan Lake Mistake... A pretentious fashion folly in a nightmare by Salvador Dali!"
6. Princess Stephanie: "Her wardrobe has the allure of nuclear waste... Sorry, no taste!"
7. Kate Hudson: "Looks like a cyclone victim from the OK Corral... It's fatal fashion weather!"
8. Camilla Parker Bowles: "Packs the stylistic punch of a dilapidated Yorkshire pudding!"
9. Cameron Diaz: "Chaos in high heels, period!"
10. Gillian Anderson: "A grunge plunge...resembling an escape from a Bohemian barbecue."
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 55 min 5 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 1 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 8 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 1 hour 13 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 1 hour 13 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 26 min ago