John Cameron Mitchell writing a children's film
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2002 1:00 AM ET
TVGuide.com reports that Hedwig and the Angry Inch director-writer-star John Cameron Mitchell is planning his next project, which sounds more family-friendly than his acclaimed rock musical about an East German transsexual. "I'm writing a children's film now," says Mitchell. "It's my own version of a Willy Wonka-type story." The project, titled Grandmaphone, will feature a Hedwig-esque mixture of live action and animation in telling a story about a young boy and his grandmother; Mitchell had originally envisioned the late Madeline Kahn playing the latter role.
The current awards season is a busy one for Mitchell--on Tuesday Hedwig received five Independent Spirit Award nominations, including Best Picture, and on Sunday, January 20, Mitchell will attend the Golden Globes as a Best Actor, Comedy/Musical, nominee. Asked about his chances of taking home a Globe, Mitchell replied, "I'm not going to win. I mean, [I'm up against] Gene Hackman. I'm just going to have a good time. It's the Golden Globes--it's going to be a hoot!"
- Parenting We're Not Perfect, We're Parents 8:18 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: No One Is Invincible 7:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down 7:00 AM
- HIV & AIDS Everything You Need to Know About PrEP 6:56 AM
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Transmit HIV Through Oral Sex? 6:44 AM
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 6:01 AM
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 6:00 AM