John Cameron Mitchell writing a children's film
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2002 1:00 AM ET
TVGuide.com reports that Hedwig and the Angry Inch director-writer-star John Cameron Mitchell is planning his next project, which sounds more family-friendly than his acclaimed rock musical about an East German transsexual. "I'm writing a children's film now," says Mitchell. "It's my own version of a Willy Wonka-type story." The project, titled Grandmaphone, will feature a Hedwig-esque mixture of live action and animation in telling a story about a young boy and his grandmother; Mitchell had originally envisioned the late Madeline Kahn playing the latter role.
The current awards season is a busy one for Mitchell--on Tuesday Hedwig received five Independent Spirit Award nominations, including Best Picture, and on Sunday, January 20, Mitchell will attend the Golden Globes as a Best Actor, Comedy/Musical, nominee. Asked about his chances of taking home a Globe, Mitchell replied, "I'm not going to win. I mean, [I'm up against] Gene Hackman. I'm just going to have a good time. It's the Golden Globes--it's going to be a hoot!"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Style Hairy Hose for Hairless Bros? 52 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality 34 min 12 sec ago
- Style WATCH: How to Dress For Summer 39 min 49 sec ago
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 1 hour 12 min ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 1 hour 25 min ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 1 hour 32 min ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 2 hours 2 min ago