John Cameron Mitchell writing a children's film
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
TVGuide.com reports that Hedwig and the Angry Inch director-writer-star John Cameron Mitchell is planning his next project, which sounds more family-friendly than his acclaimed rock musical about an East German transsexual. "I'm writing a children's film now," says Mitchell. "It's my own version of a Willy Wonka-type story." The project, titled Grandmaphone, will feature a Hedwig-esque mixture of live action and animation in telling a story about a young boy and his grandmother; Mitchell had originally envisioned the late Madeline Kahn playing the latter role.
The current awards season is a busy one for Mitchell--on Tuesday Hedwig received five Independent Spirit Award nominations, including Best Picture, and on Sunday, January 20, Mitchell will attend the Golden Globes as a Best Actor, Comedy/Musical, nominee. Asked about his chances of taking home a Globe, Mitchell replied, "I'm not going to win. I mean, [I'm up against] Gene Hackman. I'm just going to have a good time. It's the Golden Globes--it's going to be a hoot!"
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 12 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 12 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM