Gay-themed comedy tops German box office
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 01 2002 1:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that a comedy about a gay American Indian was Germany's most popular film of 2001, topping even Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (as the film is titled in Europe). Der Schuh Des Manitu (The Shoe of the Manitu) sold 10.8 million tickets, just ahead of Harry Potter's 10.4 million. Directed and costarring Michael "Bully" Herbig, Manitu tells the story of an Apache chief who is trying to finance a new saloon. The film's success is being credited with rekindling international interest in the German movie market.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 6 min 23 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 17 min 6 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 21 min 43 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 37 min 43 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 41 min 29 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 54 min 22 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 28 min ago