McKellen to serve as Celebrity Grand Marshall for S.F. pride parade
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 09 2002 1:00 AM ET
The organizers of the San Francisco LGBT Pride Parade have announced that out actor Sir Ian McKellen will serve as Celebrity Grand Marshall for this year's parade on June 30. "San Francisco is where I decided to come out in 1988," said McKellen in a statement. "It's high time I came back to thank everyone!" Pride Parade executive director Teddy Witherington observed, "I've known Ian for over 10 years and have witnessed firsthand his dedication, often away from the limelight, to the causes that affect us all. He is truly a global hero and the perfect choice for Celebrity Grand Marshall."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- WATCH: Protestors Argue With Supporters of Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House