The Color Purple coming to Broadway--as a musical
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2002 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Alice Walker's lesbian-inclusive The Color Purple, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel previously brought to the screen by Steven Spielberg, is now being turned into a Broadway musical. Produced by Creative Battery--the company behind the current Elaine Stritch at Liberty--The Color Purple will have a book by Regina Taylor (Drowning Crow) and songs by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, and Stephen Bray, who have written songs for Madonna, Bonnie Raitt, and Luther Vandross, among others. Matthew Warchus, who directed last season's Follies revival, will direct.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members