The Color Purple coming to Broadway--as a musical
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2002 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Alice Walker's lesbian-inclusive The Color Purple, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel previously brought to the screen by Steven Spielberg, is now being turned into a Broadway musical. Produced by Creative Battery--the company behind the current Elaine Stritch at Liberty--The Color Purple will have a book by Regina Taylor (Drowning Crow) and songs by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, and Stephen Bray, who have written songs for Madonna, Bonnie Raitt, and Luther Vandross, among others. Matthew Warchus, who directed last season's Follies revival, will direct.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either