The Color Purple coming to Broadway--as a musical
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2002 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Alice Walker's lesbian-inclusive The Color Purple, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel previously brought to the screen by Steven Spielberg, is now being turned into a Broadway musical. Produced by Creative Battery--the company behind the current Elaine Stritch at Liberty--The Color Purple will have a book by Regina Taylor (Drowning Crow) and songs by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, and Stephen Bray, who have written songs for Madonna, Bonnie Raitt, and Luther Vandross, among others. Matthew Warchus, who directed last season's Follies revival, will direct.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Op-ed: Why LGBT Millennials Should Care About Adoption
- 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody
- Marriage Equality Virginia AG Asks Court to Dismiss Marriage Ban Challenge 35 min 57 sec ago
- Health WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' 1 hour 25 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody UPDATED: 1 hour 32 min ago
- Style Meet Sexy German Designer Working With Alan Cumming & ARMANI 1 hour 58 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Consumer Reports Now Ranks HIV Meds 2 hours 44 min ago
- Music 10 Singles You May Have Missed This Year 10:18 AM
- Acceptance Matters Confronting the 'Glitter Mafia' 10:00 AM