Rosie O'Donnell addresses "the gay thing"
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
Comedian and talk show host Rosie O'Donnell quashed speculation over whether she was planning to come out as a lesbian on TV or in her new memoirs by doing so at a benefit event Monday in New York. TVGuide.com reports O'Donnell called herself "a dyke" during a stand-up performance at an Ovarian Cancer Research benefit, adding, "I don't know why people make such a big deal about the gay thing...like this is a big revelation to somebody."
The Web site also reported that O'Donnell has asked Barbra Streisand to sing "People" on the last Rosie O'Donnell Show, scheduled to air May 22. Streisand's manager, Marty Erlichman, said, "Yes, Rosie has asked Barbra to perform. But I don't know if she can do it. Barbra is currently off on holiday, so I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it." A spokeswoman for Rosie would not confirm or deny reports, saying only, "We're hopeful that a lot of our favorite guests will stop by before the end of the season." Streisand appeared on O'Donnell's show in 1997 and then again in a two-part interview in 1999 but has never sung on the program.
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 2 min 2 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 15 min 58 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 16 min 57 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 18 min 47 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 44 min 26 sec ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 45 min 37 sec ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 1 hour 46 min ago