Will Young expected to remain atop British charts
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 13 2002 1:00 AM ET
Coming out of the closet should have no effect on Will Young's number 1 standing in the British pop charts, according to a leading U.K. record retailer. Reuters reports that HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo noted that Young's double A-side single, "Evergreen"/"Anything Is Possible," is outselling its closest rival 2 to 1. The single has been the U.K.'s highest seller over the past two weeks; in its first week, the single set a record as the fastest-selling single ever in the United Kingdom. "Although the rate of sales is obviously slowing down from that first amazing week, the rate of decline is similar to the level seen last week, which suggests that Will's announcement that he is gay has not had an adverse effect on sales, " Castaldo said.
Industry insiders feel that the next big challenge to Young's streak will be a new single from Gareth Gates--who finished second to Young on the Pop Idol talent search program--and George Michael's latest, "Freeek!" both of which will be released March 18.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 12 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 41 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM