Will Young expected to remain atop British charts
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
Coming out of the closet should have no effect on Will Young's number 1 standing in the British pop charts, according to a leading U.K. record retailer. Reuters reports that HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo noted that Young's double A-side single, "Evergreen"/"Anything Is Possible," is outselling its closest rival 2 to 1. The single has been the U.K.'s highest seller over the past two weeks; in its first week, the single set a record as the fastest-selling single ever in the United Kingdom. "Although the rate of sales is obviously slowing down from that first amazing week, the rate of decline is similar to the level seen last week, which suggests that Will's announcement that he is gay has not had an adverse effect on sales, " Castaldo said.
Industry insiders feel that the next big challenge to Young's streak will be a new single from Gareth Gates--who finished second to Young on the Pop Idol talent search program--and George Michael's latest, "Freeek!" both of which will be released March 18.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship