Will Young expected to remain atop British charts
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
Coming out of the closet should have no effect on Will Young's number 1 standing in the British pop charts, according to a leading U.K. record retailer. Reuters reports that HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo noted that Young's double A-side single, "Evergreen"/"Anything Is Possible," is outselling its closest rival 2 to 1. The single has been the U.K.'s highest seller over the past two weeks; in its first week, the single set a record as the fastest-selling single ever in the United Kingdom. "Although the rate of sales is obviously slowing down from that first amazing week, the rate of decline is similar to the level seen last week, which suggests that Will's announcement that he is gay has not had an adverse effect on sales, " Castaldo said.
Industry insiders feel that the next big challenge to Young's streak will be a new single from Gareth Gates--who finished second to Young on the Pop Idol talent search program--and George Michael's latest, "Freeek!" both of which will be released March 18.
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 8 min 32 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 7 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 14 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 57 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 58 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 2 hours 22 sec ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 11:39 AM