ABC affiliate in Virginia pulls Once and Again episode over teen lesbian storyline
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Times reports that the ABC affiliate serving Roanoke-Lynchburg, Va., pulled Monday's episode of Once and Again over concerns about a story that included a romantic kiss between two teen girls. (Actress Evan Rachel Wood discusses the kiss and the plot line in the current issue of The Advocate.) WSET-TV ran an infomercial in place of the episode, and a spokesman for the station declined to comment about the reason for the substitution.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has deplored the move and is calling on the station to air the episode within 30 days. GLAAD, while praising ABC for airing the episode, also accused the network of applying a double standard to gay story lines by placing an "Adult Subject Matter--Parental Discretion Advised" disclaimer on the episode. The organization says the network would never have run such a disclaimer on an episode about a teen girl getting her first kiss from a boy.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 14 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 13 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 22 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 36 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 51 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 58 min ago