ABC affiliate in Virginia pulls Once and Again episode over teen lesbian storyline
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Times reports that the ABC affiliate serving Roanoke-Lynchburg, Va., pulled Monday's episode of Once and Again over concerns about a story that included a romantic kiss between two teen girls. (Actress Evan Rachel Wood discusses the kiss and the plot line in the current issue of The Advocate.) WSET-TV ran an infomercial in place of the episode, and a spokesman for the station declined to comment about the reason for the substitution.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has deplored the move and is calling on the station to air the episode within 30 days. GLAAD, while praising ABC for airing the episode, also accused the network of applying a double standard to gay story lines by placing an "Adult Subject Matter--Parental Discretion Advised" disclaimer on the episode. The organization says the network would never have run such a disclaimer on an episode about a teen girl getting her first kiss from a boy.
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 11 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 2 hours 53 min ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM