ABC affiliate in Virginia pulls Once and Again episode over teen lesbian storyline
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Times reports that the ABC affiliate serving Roanoke-Lynchburg, Va., pulled Monday's episode of Once and Again over concerns about a story that included a romantic kiss between two teen girls. (Actress Evan Rachel Wood discusses the kiss and the plot line in the current issue of The Advocate.) WSET-TV ran an infomercial in place of the episode, and a spokesman for the station declined to comment about the reason for the substitution.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has deplored the move and is calling on the station to air the episode within 30 days. GLAAD, while praising ABC for airing the episode, also accused the network of applying a double standard to gay story lines by placing an "Adult Subject Matter--Parental Discretion Advised" disclaimer on the episode. The organization says the network would never have run such a disclaimer on an episode about a teen girl getting her first kiss from a boy.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- 40 Under 40: Emerging Voices | Advocate.com
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Writers Lena Waithe & Justin Simien Show Hollywood It’s More Than Just Black & White