George Michael says his arrest was deliberate
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that George Michael says he may have deliberately gotten himself arrested in 1998 for lewd conduct so that he could refocus his life after the deaths of his mother and former partner. In an interview with BBC Radio 1's Jo Whiley, Michael says he may have put himself in a situation where he could be caught so that he could "make my life about me. And for six months it worked. I had to fight, I had to make the video [for his song "Outside"], I had to make the single, I had to finish the greatest hits.... But very soon after that I sank again." Following that flurry of activity, Michael says, he returned to grieving for his mother, a process that lasted another four years.
Other points covered in the interview include his "fantastic relationship" with Kenny Goss and the recent coming-out of Pop Idol singer Will Young. "Was I surprised? I don't want to be insulting, but about as surprised as people were with me, probably--and they'd had 18 years to work on it." Michael adds, "I'm very impressed that he did it. I think for a start it was fairly obvious that he might have been gay. I think it's very encouraging that the general public gave him the nod." Michael's new single "Freeek!" is being released Monday in the United Kingdom, although the singer is resigned to the fact that he'll probably lose the number 1 slot to the debut single from Young's Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates. The BBC reports that Michael has "conceded gracefully, sending [Gates] a bottle of champagne and advising him to enjoy his career."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 10 min 37 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 16 min 37 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM