Two new Producers have big shoes to fill
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 20 2002 1:00 AM ET
Tuesday night is the first night of the rest of The Producers' life. Since Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick said their tearful goodbyes at Sunday's matinee of Broadway's megahit, the starring roles belong to English actor Henry Goodman (as sleazy producer Max Bialystock) and TV star Steven Weber (as nerdy accountant Leo Bloom).
At Lane and Broderick's final performance, the crowd, including Broderick's wife, Sarah Jessica Parker, began standing and cheering even before the final curtain came down, reports Salon.com. After a teary Lane and Broderick took their bows, Brooks and director-choreographer Susan Stroman came onstage and presented their stars with bouquets of red roses. "We wanted to thank you for making us laugh for an entire year," Stroman said as she wished them well "on your new adventures. But when you are done with those film and TV folks," she added, "you need to come back."
Both Lane and Broderick have projects coming up. Lane will try TV again with a new CBS series titled Life of the Party. (His last series, Encore! Encore! flopped, with Lane playing a flamboyant opera singer who was written as heterosexual but who set off thunderous gaydar among gay viewers.)
Broderick also will segue into television, working for prolific producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron in their ABC adaptation of The Music Man. Broderick will play the con artist Prof. Harold Hill, reportedly opposite Kristin Chenoweth as Marian the librarian.
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM