Two new Producers have big shoes to fill
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
Tuesday night is the first night of the rest of The Producers' life. Since Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick said their tearful goodbyes at Sunday's matinee of Broadway's megahit, the starring roles belong to English actor Henry Goodman (as sleazy producer Max Bialystock) and TV star Steven Weber (as nerdy accountant Leo Bloom).
At Lane and Broderick's final performance, the crowd, including Broderick's wife, Sarah Jessica Parker, began standing and cheering even before the final curtain came down, reports Salon.com. After a teary Lane and Broderick took their bows, Brooks and director-choreographer Susan Stroman came onstage and presented their stars with bouquets of red roses. "We wanted to thank you for making us laugh for an entire year," Stroman said as she wished them well "on your new adventures. But when you are done with those film and TV folks," she added, "you need to come back."
Both Lane and Broderick have projects coming up. Lane will try TV again with a new CBS series titled Life of the Party. (His last series, Encore! Encore! flopped, with Lane playing a flamboyant opera singer who was written as heterosexual but who set off thunderous gaydar among gay viewers.)
Broderick also will segue into television, working for prolific producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron in their ABC adaptation of The Music Man. Broderick will play the con artist Prof. Harold Hill, reportedly opposite Kristin Chenoweth as Marian the librarian.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 5 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 46 min 7 sec ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 43 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 2 hours 17 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor Is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 11:09 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM