Robert De Niro talks up new Queen musical
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
Robert De Niro flew from New York to London Tuesday to talk up We Will Rock You, a new musical coproduced by De Niro's Tribeca Productions that will feature the music of British rock band Queen, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The show opens May 14 in London with a book by British comedian Ben Elton, who also recently wrote lyrics and dialogue for another upcoming musical, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Beautiful Game. We Will Rock You is set in a future civilization where everyone watches the same movies, wears the same clothes, listens to the same computerized music, and where musical instruments are banned. Queen drummer Roger Taylor, who appeared at the press conference alongside De Niro and Elton, said that the late Freddie Mercury, the group's gay lead singer, would have been pleased by the new production. "Freddie would have loved it," Taylor said. "He was a very theatrical character."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Reality Special My Husband’s Not Gay: Deep in Denial?
- Op-ed: Trans Glamour Versus Trans Activism
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment