Robert De Niro talks up new Queen musical
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
Robert De Niro flew from New York to London Tuesday to talk up We Will Rock You, a new musical coproduced by De Niro's Tribeca Productions that will feature the music of British rock band Queen, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The show opens May 14 in London with a book by British comedian Ben Elton, who also recently wrote lyrics and dialogue for another upcoming musical, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Beautiful Game. We Will Rock You is set in a future civilization where everyone watches the same movies, wears the same clothes, listens to the same computerized music, and where musical instruments are banned. Queen drummer Roger Taylor, who appeared at the press conference alongside De Niro and Elton, said that the late Freddie Mercury, the group's gay lead singer, would have been pleased by the new production. "Freddie would have loved it," Taylor said. "He was a very theatrical character."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'