HBO: Six Feet Under, yes; Oz, no
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
HBO has ordered a third season of its gay-inclusive hit series Six Feet Under, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The series averages 3.7 million homes and 5.6 million viewers among HBO subscribers, essentially equaling its first-season ratings. "I think that we would have had to really screw things up for there not to be a third season," said the show's out creator, Alan Ball, who adds that there will be some changes ahead. "We want to loosen up the serialized aspect of the show a little bit. We want to have the freedom to do more free-standing episodes so that not every single episode has to further every single story." The third season is expected to start shooting in September and is tentatively scheduled to launch late in the first quarter of 2003.
In other HBO news, the network says that the sixth season of the homoerotic prison series Oz--also slated to debut in early 2003--will be the last. TVGuide.com reports that HBO's programming president Chris Albrecht said, "Oz has been a landmark series for HBO, one that has had a tremendous impact on both subscribers and critics. We look forward to working with [executive producer] Tom Fontana again." Fontana added, "With these final eight episodes of Oz, I will finish telling the story I originally set out to tell."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 26 min 1 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 26 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM