New Bravo series to feature hetero makeovers
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
The New York Times reports that a new reality series will feature gay men giving a dash of fabulousness to their straight brethren. The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, currently being developed for the Bravo cable network, would feature what a casting notice calls "crude and uncultured" heterosexual men being turned into "hip and happening Renaissance [men] at the hands of five fabulously trendy gay men." Gay men being sought for the show, per the casting memo, "must have a great sense of personal style with an organic sense of humor that is quick, clever and witty.... Queer, yes; camp, not necessarily. Professionals, first; gay, second. Not looking to fill stereotypes."
Cathy Renna, news media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, questions that last sentence. "It's obvious to say that this would cause concern about stereotypical representation," she told the Times. Ed Peselman, creative director at Scout Productions, the show's producer, disagrees. "It isn't going to be anything that a GLAAD would protest against; it's informative. As a straight man myself, I can tell you there are a lot of comedic elements in making fun of straight guys. It's not long before we'll become the butt of all jokes, and rightfully so."
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 12 min 17 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM