New Bravo series to feature hetero makeovers
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 13 2002 11:00 PM ET
The New York Times reports that a new reality series will feature gay men giving a dash of fabulousness to their straight brethren. The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, currently being developed for the Bravo cable network, would feature what a casting notice calls "crude and uncultured" heterosexual men being turned into "hip and happening Renaissance [men] at the hands of five fabulously trendy gay men." Gay men being sought for the show, per the casting memo, "must have a great sense of personal style with an organic sense of humor that is quick, clever and witty.... Queer, yes; camp, not necessarily. Professionals, first; gay, second. Not looking to fill stereotypes."
Cathy Renna, news media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, questions that last sentence. "It's obvious to say that this would cause concern about stereotypical representation," she told the Times. Ed Peselman, creative director at Scout Productions, the show's producer, disagrees. "It isn't going to be anything that a GLAAD would protest against; it's informative. As a straight man myself, I can tell you there are a lot of comedic elements in making fun of straight guys. It's not long before we'll become the butt of all jokes, and rightfully so."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM