New Bravo series to feature hetero makeovers
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
The New York Times reports that a new reality series will feature gay men giving a dash of fabulousness to their straight brethren. The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, currently being developed for the Bravo cable network, would feature what a casting notice calls "crude and uncultured" heterosexual men being turned into "hip and happening Renaissance [men] at the hands of five fabulously trendy gay men." Gay men being sought for the show, per the casting memo, "must have a great sense of personal style with an organic sense of humor that is quick, clever and witty.... Queer, yes; camp, not necessarily. Professionals, first; gay, second. Not looking to fill stereotypes."
Cathy Renna, news media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, questions that last sentence. "It's obvious to say that this would cause concern about stereotypical representation," she told the Times. Ed Peselman, creative director at Scout Productions, the show's producer, disagrees. "It isn't going to be anything that a GLAAD would protest against; it's informative. As a straight man myself, I can tell you there are a lot of comedic elements in making fun of straight guys. It's not long before we'll become the butt of all jokes, and rightfully so."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM