Elton John resigns as football club chairman
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
Out pop star Elton John has resigned as chairman of Watford, ending a 25-year association with the English first-division club. "With the huge changes taking place in football, it is obviously necessary for the board to be led by a chairman who will be able to devote more time to the club than I have been able to," John said in a statement on the club's Web site. "The directors will now commence their search for a successor, and I am sure that they will find the right person who will be able to devote time and energy to leading the club through these difficult times," added John, who is currently on tour in Europe. John, who returned to Watford five years ago, has also resigned as a director of the club nicknamed the Hornets.
Watford, coached by former Chelsea manager Gianluca Vialli, finished last season in 14th place after a disappointing campaign. Watford's chief executive, Tim Shaw, thanked the singer for his role in overseeing the club's rise from the old fourth division in the late 1970s to the upper reaches of the first division. It finished as league runner-up to Liverpool in 1982-83 and was the losing finalist to Everton in the 1984 FA Cup final. "On behalf of the club and all its supporters, I want to thank Elton for everything he has done during both periods that he has been chairman," Shaw said in a statement. "There is no doubt that, without his vision, energy, and investment, the club would never have made the progress that it has over the last 25 years."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 10 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM