GLAAD presents Media Awards in San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation presented its 13th annual GLAAD Media Awards Saturday in San Francisco, capping an annual series of awards events (the New York and Los Angeles awards were presented in April). Special awards were presented to Brooke Shields (the Golden Gate Award, to a member of the entertainment media community who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for all), Sandra Bernhard (the Davidson/Valentini Award, for an openly GLBT individual who has promoted equal rights for all), and KQED (the Pioneer Award, for significant contributions in developing GLBT media images prior to the existence of the GLAAD Media Awards).
Here are the winners from Saturday's event:
Outstanding Digital Journalism, Article: "Sports World Still a Struggle for Gays?" by Bill Konigsberg, ESPN.com
Outstanding Digital Journalism, Overall Coverage: Salon.com
Outstanding Documentary: Scout's Honor
Outstanding Advertising, Electronic: "Switcheroo," Miller Lite
Outstanding Music Album: Poses, Rufus Wainwright
Outstanding Comic Book: Green Lantern (DC Comics)
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- Op-ed: Dear Straight People
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- WATCH: Young and Gay in Belgrade Focuses on LGBT Serbian Bravery Amid Bigotry