GLAAD presents Media Awards in San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 03 2002 11:00 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation presented its 13th annual GLAAD Media Awards Saturday in San Francisco, capping an annual series of awards events (the New York and Los Angeles awards were presented in April). Special awards were presented to Brooke Shields (the Golden Gate Award, to a member of the entertainment media community who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for all), Sandra Bernhard (the Davidson/Valentini Award, for an openly GLBT individual who has promoted equal rights for all), and KQED (the Pioneer Award, for significant contributions in developing GLBT media images prior to the existence of the GLAAD Media Awards).
Here are the winners from Saturday's event:
Outstanding Digital Journalism, Article: "Sports World Still a Struggle for Gays?" by Bill Konigsberg, ESPN.com
Outstanding Digital Journalism, Overall Coverage: Salon.com
Outstanding Documentary: Scout's Honor
Outstanding Advertising, Electronic: "Switcheroo," Miller Lite
Outstanding Music Album: Poses, Rufus Wainwright
Outstanding Comic Book: Green Lantern (DC Comics)
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 2 hours 45 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM