Rosie O'Donnell notes backlash in adoption battle
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 25 2002 12:00 AM ET
Rosie O'Donnell said she's begun to feel the sting of leading the fight to allow gays and lesbians to adopt children in Florida, noting that a medical association recently rescinded an invitation to speak at their convention. "They said they were afraid of protesters," O'Donnell told 200 women Sunday at the two-day Wise Women Weekend retreat in Miami Beach. "I'm not used to being considered controversial." O'Donnell also responded to her opponents' criticism that her crusade is a gay issue. "I have no homosexual agenda," she said. "I have a child agenda."
The 40-year-old talk show host and comedian, who has a home in Miami Beach and has adopted three children outside Florida, said she learned about the ban when she applied to adopt a Florida foster child in her care. "It stunned me to know that Florida, the state where I live, is the only one that does not allow gay adoptions," said O'Donnell, who came out in March. Florida passed the gay adoption ban in 1977 at a time when entertainer Anita Bryant went on a crusade against a Dade County ordinance protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination.
Last August a federal judge in Miami upheld the law in a case brought by two gay men who wanted to adopt foster children already in their care. The decision is being appealed. O'Donnell's efforts to win support for a possible repeal of the law received little support in the Florida legislature in March.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 3 min 59 sec ago
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 31 min 23 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 41 min 8 sec ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 57 min 20 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 2 hours 2 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 2 hours 10 min ago