Priscilla director to make made-for-TV version of The Rocky Horror Show
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Stephan Elliott (The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) has been hired to write and direct a new TV movie adaptation of The Rocky Horror Show, tentatively titled Rocky Horror Birthday Show. The scheduled February broadcast would coincide with the 30th anniversary of the show's original opening in London in 1973. "It's going to be revived by casting people who are contemporary and rearranging the music so it's contemporary," said David Madden, who heads Fox Television Studio's movie unit, Fox TV Pictures. "We're dressing the piece in clothes that will make it more entertaining and more accessible to a 2003 audience." Lou Adler, executive producer of the original Rocky Horror Picture Show, has signed on as an executive producer for the new film, and the musical's original writer, Richard O'Brien, will consult, in addition to writing at least one new song for the project.
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure