Priscilla director to make made-for-TV version of The Rocky Horror Show
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that Stephan Elliott (The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) has been hired to write and direct a new TV movie adaptation of The Rocky Horror Show, tentatively titled Rocky Horror Birthday Show. The scheduled February broadcast would coincide with the 30th anniversary of the show's original opening in London in 1973. "It's going to be revived by casting people who are contemporary and rearranging the music so it's contemporary," said David Madden, who heads Fox Television Studio's movie unit, Fox TV Pictures. "We're dressing the piece in clothes that will make it more entertaining and more accessible to a 2003 audience." Lou Adler, executive producer of the original Rocky Horror Picture Show, has signed on as an executive producer for the new film, and the musical's original writer, Richard O'Brien, will consult, in addition to writing at least one new song for the project.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Op-ed: Helping Gays Find Love Isn't Easy, Especially In the South
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'