Deep End directors Siegel and McGehee headed for Hot Zone
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 04 2002 12:00 AM ET
Gay director Scott McGehee and his filmmaking partner, David Siegel (The Deep End, Suture), have been signed by 20th Century Fox to bring the long-in-development Crisis in the Hot Zone to the screen, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Based on a 1992 New Yorker article by Richard Preston, which spurred a major studio bidding war and Preston's follow-up 1994 book The Hot Zone, Crisis tells the story of a real-life outbreak of the Ebola virus in a Washington, D.C., animal test lab in 1989 and the subsequent efforts of a government force to contain it. A film version was almost made in 1994 starring Jodie Foster and Robert Redford under the direction of Ridley Scott, but it was scuttled when Warner Bros. got the similarly themed Outbreak off the ground first.
"We really responded to Eric [Jandresen]'s script," said McGehee. "He just did a fantastic job in capturing what was really scary in this particular story, and David and I thought we knew exactly what to do with this material." No start date is set, but the filmmakers are hoping to roll cameras this winter.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 49 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM