Sandra Bernhard burns bridges
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 25 2002 12:00 AM ET
Sandra Bernhard is not still here, damn it--she's in London, where she's doing her stand-up act and not exactly waxing patriotic, according to MSNBC gossip maven Jeannette Walls. Bernhard's act includes "making light of 9/11, ridiculing stars like Billy Joel and Mariah Carey for their fund-raising efforts, razing Americans' reactions to the tragedy, and calling George W. Bush, among other things, a 'dunce.'"
"The infrastructure of America and the world is caving in, and George Bush is a figurehead of that," Bernhard told an interviewer at The [London] Guardian. "I don't think he's an informed person or intelligent or interesting. I think he got waylaid into the job by his family, he's in over his head, and he's kind of a dunce."
She has unkind words for U.S. citizens as well. "Americans are lazy.... They don't have a concept of how the world interacts with America or how the world interacts with itself.... It's a little scary to be in a country so detached from reality and so ready to buy into the propaganda that the enemy is out there lurking, ready to attack us again."
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM