Darren Star to create new series for NBC
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay TV mogul Darren Star (Sex and the City, Melrose Place) has a seven-figure commitment from NBC to create a one-hour comedy-drama pilot with writer Jeff Rake, says Variety. The show is inspired by Samantha Daniels, a real-life New York matrimonial lawyer who doubles as a high-class matchmaker. Star says the show will actually be two franchises in one, focusing on the character's role as both a matchmaker and a lawyer who handles everything from divorce to adoption cases.
"It's all about relationships--getting into them and getting out of them," says Star, who adds that the lead character "has a romantic streak even when dealing with people who are getting a divorce. It's a hopeful show at its core. She believes that even divorce is just one step in the path of finding your soulmate." Star is also in the early stages of development on a new romantic drama series for HBO, Pacific Palisades, with writer-director Nicole Holofcener (Lovely and Amazing, Walking and Talking).
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 38 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM