Darren Star to create new series for NBC
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay TV mogul Darren Star (Sex and the City, Melrose Place) has a seven-figure commitment from NBC to create a one-hour comedy-drama pilot with writer Jeff Rake, says Variety. The show is inspired by Samantha Daniels, a real-life New York matrimonial lawyer who doubles as a high-class matchmaker. Star says the show will actually be two franchises in one, focusing on the character's role as both a matchmaker and a lawyer who handles everything from divorce to adoption cases.
"It's all about relationships--getting into them and getting out of them," says Star, who adds that the lead character "has a romantic streak even when dealing with people who are getting a divorce. It's a hopeful show at its core. She believes that even divorce is just one step in the path of finding your soulmate." Star is also in the early stages of development on a new romantic drama series for HBO, Pacific Palisades, with writer-director Nicole Holofcener (Lovely and Amazing, Walking and Talking).
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM