Darren Star to create new series for NBC
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 30 2002 11:00 PM ET
Openly gay TV mogul Darren Star (Sex and the City, Melrose Place) has a seven-figure commitment from NBC to create a one-hour comedy-drama pilot with writer Jeff Rake, says Variety. The show is inspired by Samantha Daniels, a real-life New York matrimonial lawyer who doubles as a high-class matchmaker. Star says the show will actually be two franchises in one, focusing on the character's role as both a matchmaker and a lawyer who handles everything from divorce to adoption cases.
"It's all about relationships--getting into them and getting out of them," says Star, who adds that the lead character "has a romantic streak even when dealing with people who are getting a divorce. It's a hopeful show at its core. She believes that even divorce is just one step in the path of finding your soulmate." Star is also in the early stages of development on a new romantic drama series for HBO, Pacific Palisades, with writer-director Nicole Holofcener (Lovely and Amazing, Walking and Talking).
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Outrage After Idaho Trans Woman Buried 'As a Man'
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book