Reports say E! asked Kmetko to leave
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
TV Guide Online quotes an anonymous source in revealing that openly gay anchorman Steve Kmetko was let go from the E! Entertainment Television cable channel in a dispute with management, which had decided to terminate Kmetko despite the fact that there was a year left on his contract.
E!'s official comment on Kmetko's departure reads only: "Steve Kmetko is no longer with the company. He is moving on to pursue other career endeavors. He was a great part of the team at E! and we certainly wish him the best personally and professionally."
Kmetko has so far declined to comment on his abrupt departure.
Also missing in action, at least for the moment, is www.SteveKmetko.com (visitors to the site are redirected to a page on E!'s Web site that, oddly enough, provides Kmetko's bio)--a development that apparently is also tied in to the anchor's trouble with E! "It's all connected," a friend of Kmetko's told TV Guide Online. "It may go back up when--and if--all this is resolved."
Meanwhile, Village Voice columnist Michael Musto notes, "My lousiest new scoop is that Steve Kmetko didn't quit E! at all. After getting a biggie there mad, he was summarily fired. (I'm looking into the details.) What E!-ffrontery."
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM