Reports say E! asked Kmetko to leave
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
TV Guide Online quotes an anonymous source in revealing that openly gay anchorman Steve Kmetko was let go from the E! Entertainment Television cable channel in a dispute with management, which had decided to terminate Kmetko despite the fact that there was a year left on his contract.
E!'s official comment on Kmetko's departure reads only: "Steve Kmetko is no longer with the company. He is moving on to pursue other career endeavors. He was a great part of the team at E! and we certainly wish him the best personally and professionally."
Kmetko has so far declined to comment on his abrupt departure.
Also missing in action, at least for the moment, is www.SteveKmetko.com (visitors to the site are redirected to a page on E!'s Web site that, oddly enough, provides Kmetko's bio)--a development that apparently is also tied in to the anchor's trouble with E! "It's all connected," a friend of Kmetko's told TV Guide Online. "It may go back up when--and if--all this is resolved."
Meanwhile, Village Voice columnist Michael Musto notes, "My lousiest new scoop is that Steve Kmetko didn't quit E! at all. After getting a biggie there mad, he was summarily fired. (I'm looking into the details.) What E!-ffrontery."
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room