Reports say E! asked Kmetko to leave
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 04 2002 11:00 PM ET
TV Guide Online quotes an anonymous source in revealing that openly gay anchorman Steve Kmetko was let go from the E! Entertainment Television cable channel in a dispute with management, which had decided to terminate Kmetko despite the fact that there was a year left on his contract.
E!'s official comment on Kmetko's departure reads only: "Steve Kmetko is no longer with the company. He is moving on to pursue other career endeavors. He was a great part of the team at E! and we certainly wish him the best personally and professionally."
Kmetko has so far declined to comment on his abrupt departure.
Also missing in action, at least for the moment, is www.SteveKmetko.com (visitors to the site are redirected to a page on E!'s Web site that, oddly enough, provides Kmetko's bio)--a development that apparently is also tied in to the anchor's trouble with E! "It's all connected," a friend of Kmetko's told TV Guide Online. "It may go back up when--and if--all this is resolved."
Meanwhile, Village Voice columnist Michael Musto notes, "My lousiest new scoop is that Steve Kmetko didn't quit E! at all. After getting a biggie there mad, he was summarily fired. (I'm looking into the details.) What E!-ffrontery."
- Film God Loves Uganda Makes Oscar Doc Shortlist 20 min 21 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' 25 min 53 sec ago
- Here To Inspire WATCH: Hot Naked Gay Men Jello Wrestling in Sexy, NSFW HIV Testing Ad 33 min 5 sec ago
- Film How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS 48 min 59 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Utah's Marriage Ban Faces Court Challenge Today 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Discovering the Other Baja: La Paz 1 hour 46 min ago
- Politics Dick Cheney 'Suprised' By Mary's 'Attack' Following Sister Liz's Insult to Mary's Marriage 1 hour 54 min ago