Steven Spielberg honored by HRC
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 11:00 PM ET
Filmmaker Steven Spielberg was honored with the Human Rights Campaign's 2002 National Equality Award on Sunday in Washington, D.C. Singer Melissa Etheridge presented Spielberg with the award, calling him "a man with a heart and soul I have never known--one of the greatest artistic and altruistic men in America." Spielberg spoke about having to end his lifelong affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America when that group took to the Supreme Court its fight to bar gay scouts and scoutmasters. "I realized something that I really had not been very aware of," he said. "That you could be black, white, you could be Hispanic and Asian, Native American, Jewish, Catholic, Islamic, but you couldn't get into the Scouts if you were gay. And I know it's tough just being a kid trying to find acceptance, trying to accept yourself."
He added: "I just have to say that quitting the Boy Scouts was probably one of the most painful experiences I've ever had to endure. But they are wrong, and you are right. We are right--supporting causes like the Human Rights Campaign isn't difficult, and it's not even brave. It's mandatory, because every day we wake up in a country that presumes basic liberty and freedom."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 49 min 32 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 1 hour 3 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 2 hours 1 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 22 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 52 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 57 min ago