Musicologist Philip Brett dead at 64
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2002 1:00 AM ET
Philip Brett, a musicologist who advocated the importance of gender and sexuality in the study of music, has died. He was 64. Brett, who most recently taught musicology at the University of California, Los Angeles, died of cancer October 16.
A Grammy-nominated choral conductor, Brett was an authority on the music of the English Renaissance and on Benjamin Britten, one of 20th-century England's most prominent composers. In lectures and a scholarly paper, Brett argued that Britten's homosexuality permeated his work. As a result, Brett is credited with helping form "new musicology," a branch of study aimed at understanding musical compositions through feminist, gender, and cultural studies. "He was the first person to discuss the relationship of musicality and homosexuality within a musicological venue," said Byron Adams, chairman of the music department at the University of California, Riverside. "It was radical and incredibly courageous."
Born in England, Brett earned his bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees at Cambridge University. Brett helped found the Gay and Lesbian Study Group of the American Musicological Society, which in 1996 established an annual award in his name to honor exceptional musicological work in the field of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and transsexual studies. Brett was also known for his work on 16th-century composer William Byrd. He was general editor of The Byrd Edition, a 20-volume collection of the composer's music, and personally edited 10 of the volumes. He is survived by his longtime partner, UC Riverside professor George Haggerty.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 14 min 31 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 10 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 10 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 58 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 2 hours 19 min ago