Far From Heaven has a hell of an opening weekend
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 12 2002 1:00 AM ET
Out director Todd Haynes's Far From Heaven, an acclaimed homage to '50s melodramas featuring a gay story line, came out of the gate with a strong weekend in limited release, reports Variety. The film grossed $207,100 on just six screens in New York City and Los Angeles, for an impressive $34,518 per-screen average. (By way of comparison, the weekend's top-grosser, the Eminem vehicle 8 Mile, made $22,050 per screen at 2,470 playdates.) Heaven will expand to 38 engagements Friday, and 250 on November 22.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'