Strange Fruit best doc at Boston Jewish Fest
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
The 14th annual Boston Jewish Film Festival ended November 17, handing out its first audience awards. The audience selected Joel Katz's Strange Fruit as best documentary. Katz's film, a fave on this year's festival circuit, tells the story of the anti-lynching protest song of the same title, which was composed by Jewish schoolteacher Abel Meeropol and made famous by Billie Holiday. PBS will screen Strange Fruit on its series with the ITVS, Independent Lens, in April.
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- Why Are We Gay?
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself