Strange Fruit best doc at Boston Jewish Fest
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
The 14th annual Boston Jewish Film Festival ended November 17, handing out its first audience awards. The audience selected Joel Katz's Strange Fruit as best documentary. Katz's film, a fave on this year's festival circuit, tells the story of the anti-lynching protest song of the same title, which was composed by Jewish schoolteacher Abel Meeropol and made famous by Billie Holiday. PBS will screen Strange Fruit on its series with the ITVS, Independent Lens, in April.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- WATCH: Indiana Town Postpones LGBT Rights Vote Over Confusion