Beverly Hills cop allowed to sue George Michael
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Beverly Hills police officer who arrested British pop star George Michael for lewd conduct in a park toilet in 1998 got the go-ahead on Tuesday to proceed with a $10 million slander suit. Marcelo Rodriguez's first attempt to sue Michael, claiming the singer mocked him in a video for his hit "Outside," was thrown out by Los Angeles courts two years ago on the grounds that public figures such as police officers are not entitled to sue. But an appeals panel ruled on Tuesday that the suit could proceed because Michael had made statements after his arrest that accused Rodriguez of "specific and objectively verifiable acts."
Michael, who publicly acknowledged his homosexuality after the April 1998 incident, accused the undercover policeman of entrapment in subsequent interviews and poked fun at the arrest in his "Outside" video. He pleaded no contest to a charge of committing a lewd act and was fined $810 and ordered to perform community service. Rodriguez is seeking $10 million for humiliation, emotional and physical distress, and medical treatment.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 34 min 14 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM