Ginger Spice admits same-sex affair
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2003 1:00 AM ET
Former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell says she has had a brief encounter with another woman but says that she is not a lesbian. The singer, who has dated fellow pop star Robbie Williams, told Thursday's London Sun tabloid that after the fling she quickly realized that she is not gay.
"I had a little lesbian thing," she said, adding that the encounter with an unnamed woman had been "part of experimenting." She refused to pinpoint the date but said, "It was somewhere between the ages of 16 and 30. It was just a drunken moment." The singer also said she is not in a relationship at present. "I would like to be in a loving relationship, but it has to be with someone who is trustworthy and kind and sweet--and also my equal," she said.
Halliwell--or Ginger Spice, as she was known during her time with the group--left the Spice Girls in 1998 amid reports of bitter squabbling. The Spice Girls sold about 40 million albums and 25 million singles worldwide, notching nine number 1 singles on the U.K. charts alone. The 30-year-old singer is currently a judge on the U.S. television beauty and talent show All-American Girl.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- WATCH: Texas B&B Boots Gay Couple, Gets Banned From Airbnb
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure