Paris Is Burning's Pepper Labeija dies in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 22 2003 12:00 AM ET
Drag artist Pepper LaBeija died in New York City on May 14 following a lengthy battle with diabetes. One of the principal artists featured in Jennie Livingston's landmark 1990 documentary Paris Is Burning, about New York's underground drag balls, LaBeija spent the last six years confined to a wheelchair but continued to attend various balls and functions held in her honor.
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete