Paris Is Burning's Pepper Labeija dies in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 22 2003 12:00 AM ET
Drag artist Pepper LaBeija died in New York City on May 14 following a lengthy battle with diabetes. One of the principal artists featured in Jennie Livingston's landmark 1990 documentary Paris Is Burning, about New York's underground drag balls, LaBeija spent the last six years confined to a wheelchair but continued to attend various balls and functions held in her honor.
- Op-ed: Burning Books, One Word at a Time
- Op-ed: Why Do Kids Anger So Many Gay Men?
- Last Words With RuPaul's Drag Race's Trinity K. Bonet
- In the Galleries: Pierre et Gilles' 'Heros'
- WATCH: PBS Showcases Queer Aspects of Cosplay
- WATCH: UMass Rally Shouts Down Westboro’s Attempted Picket of Derrick Gordon