Queer Eye smash ratings hit for Bravo
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2003 11:00 PM ET
The premiere episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, in which five gay men with expertise in fashion, food, grooming, culture, and design remake a straight man, set ratings records for cable channel Bravo, the network said on Wednesday. Citing data from Nielsen Media Research, Bravo said the show's Tuesday debut at 10 p.m. Eastern time set records for the NBC-owned network among total viewers, households, audiences aged 18-49, and audiences aged 25-54. Bravo said the show attracted 1.64 million total viewers, which made it the number 2 ad-supported cable network during the hour. Bravo had previously ranked number 38 in that hour for the season to date. Bravo said the show's ratings were nine times better than last season's average in audiences 25-54 and more than seven times better than its average in the calendar year to date.
While the show has generated significant buzz, it also garnered some critical reviews. In Tuesday's Washington Post, leading TV critic Tom Shales questioned whether the show was too patronizing. "Forced to choose between scorn and condescension, gay people could hardly be blamed for preferring the latter--and thus might not object to the stereotypes on parade in the series, which each week dispatches five New York gay men to rescue some poor, style-starved straight person at a crossroads in his life," he said in his column.
Bravo is preparing for the July 29 debut of Boy Meets Boy, another gay-themed show, in which a bachelor chooses a prospective matchup from a group of eligible men. The twist, however, is that some of the men are actually straight, leaving the bachelor to try to sort out who's who.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM