Videos directed by David LaChapelle earn nine nominations for MTV Video Music Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
While Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott (with eight nominations), Justin Timberlake (with seven), and Johnny Cash (six) were the most-nominated performing artists for the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, the videos directed by out photographer and filmmaker David LaChapelle racked up an impressive nine nominations. LaChapelle's video for "Dirrty," for Christina Aguilera (featuring Redman), scored nominations for Best Female Video, Best Dance Video, Best Choreography in a Video, and Best Pop Video. His "I'm Glad" video for Jennifer Lopez also racked up nominations in the first three categories, along with a fourth nod for Best Art Direction in a Video. LaChapelle's ninth nomination came for Avril Lavigne's "I'm With You" video, his third contender in the Best Female Video category. The 2003 Video Music Awards will be broadcast live from New York City's Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, August 28.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback