Venerable British soap Coronation Street to feature first gay kiss
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that the long-running British soap opera Coronation Street will feature the first gay kiss in its 43-year-history. On the October 5 episode, the character of Todd Grimshaw (played by Bruno Langley) will kiss Nick Tilsley (Adam Rickitt), the brother of Todd's girlfriend, Sarah. A spokeswoman for the ITV show told the BBC, "Todd has been questioning his sexuality for some time. He makes a pass at Nick and leans forward to kiss him, but it's not reciprocated. This is going to cause a number of problems for his girlfriend, Sarah." She added, "This is not a case of saying we need to introduce a gay character. The story line came naturally out of the character. It is being handled extremely sensitively."
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started
- How Proud Is the Proud Whopper?
- Cop Who Pushed Don Lemon in Ferguson Retires
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility