Venerable British soap Coronation Street to feature first gay kiss
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that the long-running British soap opera Coronation Street will feature the first gay kiss in its 43-year-history. On the October 5 episode, the character of Todd Grimshaw (played by Bruno Langley) will kiss Nick Tilsley (Adam Rickitt), the brother of Todd's girlfriend, Sarah. A spokeswoman for the ITV show told the BBC, "Todd has been questioning his sexuality for some time. He makes a pass at Nick and leans forward to kiss him, but it's not reciprocated. This is going to cause a number of problems for his girlfriend, Sarah." She added, "This is not a case of saying we need to introduce a gay character. The story line came naturally out of the character. It is being handled extremely sensitively."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island