Venerable British soap Coronation Street to feature first gay kiss
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that the long-running British soap opera Coronation Street will feature the first gay kiss in its 43-year-history. On the October 5 episode, the character of Todd Grimshaw (played by Bruno Langley) will kiss Nick Tilsley (Adam Rickitt), the brother of Todd's girlfriend, Sarah. A spokeswoman for the ITV show told the BBC, "Todd has been questioning his sexuality for some time. He makes a pass at Nick and leans forward to kiss him, but it's not reciprocated. This is going to cause a number of problems for his girlfriend, Sarah." She added, "This is not a case of saying we need to introduce a gay character. The story line came naturally out of the character. It is being handled extremely sensitively."
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law