Janis Ian weds in Toronto
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2003 12:00 AM ET
Out musician and former Advocate columnist Janis Ian, whose songs include "Society's Child" and "At Seventeen," married her partner, Patricia Snyder, in a ceremony at city hall in Toronto. Ian, who lives in Nashville, wed Snyder, a criminal defense lawyer, on Wednesday, said publicist Tamara Saviano. Ian's Web site quoted Snyder as saying, "After 14 years, it's about time." The couple wed in Toronto because Ontario is one of two Canadian provinces that legalized same-sex marriage under recent court rulings. The other province is British Columbia.
Ian's "Society's Child," a song of interracial love, was released when she was 15. She won a Grammy award in 1976 for best female pop vocal performance for "At Seventeen." The 52-year-old singer will release Janis Ian Live: Working Without a Net on October 7 and said she plans to release her first studio album in four years in early 2004.
The couple planned to honeymoon at "Torcon 3," the Worldcon science fiction convention being held in Toronto, according to Ian's Web site. "I think the idea of spending my wedding week with a group of geeks masquerading as giant lobsters and Star Trek characters is perfectly in character with my life with Janis," Snyder was quoted on the Web site.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM