Newspaper apologizes for running Madonna-Britney kiss photo
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
Following reader outcry, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution apologized Monday for running a photo of Madonna kissing Britney Spears onstage at the recent MTV Video Music Awards. Managing editor Hank Klibanoff wrote, "We have a high standard of presentation that is in line with community sensibilities, and we have filters that work to maintain those standards. The difficulty comes when news turns ugly, horrid, profane, or provocative in some other way that might offend community sensibilities. During the war in Iraq, it happened a lot.... We ran images we otherwise might not have run. But that was war, and war is news. The photo we ran Friday was neither, and I wish I had limited its display to the inside of the Living section."
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet